Select Johnson for 'Monster Moment'
- Nov 25, 2008
- Team Hendrick
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (Nov. 24, 2008) – Jimmie Johnson, the now three-time defending NASCAR Sprint Cup champion, is the only Hendrick Motorsports driver in the running for this year’s Sprint Monster Moment.
The award, which is the only one voted upon by fans, will be presented to the winning driver at the nationally televised Sprint Cup Awards Ceremony on Dec. 5. Fans who are a member of the Sprint Crew Community on NASCAR.com can vote for the 2008 Sprint Monster Moment at http://community.nascar.com/crews/sprint/videos. Voting is unlimited and ends at 5 p.m. ET Dec. 3. Membership is free, and new members also may vote. Register for the Sprint Crew Community at http://community.nascar.com/crews/sprint.
A Sprint Monster Moment is defined as an action in a race where a driver exhibits extreme competiveness, passion or determination to win. Fans can choose from five clips. This year’s Sprint Monster Moment nominees are:
- Johnson’s rapid climb from 12th to second place at Atlanta with just six laps to go. The move earned him a commanding lead in the Chase for the Sprint Cup.
- Carl Edwards bumps Kyle Busch at the Bristol night race to take the lead and the win.
- Greg Biffle makes a late-race pass at Dover to hold off teammates Matt Kenseth and Edwards and capture his second consecutive win, making him two-for-two in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup.
- Edwards’ valiant wall-brushing, final-lap pass for the lead at Kansas. Despite gaining the lead with the aggressive move, he was passed again on the final stretch by Johnson and finished a heartbreaking second place.
• Edwards dominates the season-ending Ford 400 by leading the most laps and winning the race and consequently putting as much pressure as he could on point leader Johnson.
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Awards Ceremony will air at 9 p.m. ET Friday, Dec. 5, on ESPN Classic and will re-air at 2 p.m. ET Monday, Dec. 8, on ESPN2. Tune in to see the winning moment as selected by race fans.