CONCORD, N.C. – Dale Earnhardt Jr. debuted a bold new paint scheme this weekend. The car is fun to look at, but what are the details behind the bright, patriotic look?
Check out these five fun facts about the No. 88 Mountain Dew DEW-S-A Chevrolet SS before it competes in the 400-mile race at Kansas.
1. DEW-S-A was inspired by the fans. As a nod to DEW Nation, who loves mixing DEW flavors to create one-of-a-kind drink concoctions, Mountain Dew combined fan favorites Mountain Dew White Out, Code Red and Mountain Dew.
2. Mountain Dew pegged Earnhardt as its “pitchman.” “I had a blast filming the infomercial with the DEW team and hope my ‘pitchman skills’ will help fill coolers across the country with DEW-S-A this summer,” Earnhardt said.
3. The star-spangled scheme will race under the lights Saturday night at Kansas Speedway. The race is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 1, MRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.
4. The phone number in the infomercial is very real. The functioning call-in number – 1-877-DEWSA-88 – lets viewers to hear more from Earnhardt about how to buy the product.
5. The beverage is designed to celebrate America. DEW-S-A puts a patriotic feel on drinking soda. Across the nation you’ll see red, white and blue in-store displays that showcase the same star-spangled graphics on Earnhardt’s car.