CONCORD, N.C. – Wednesday, the next episodes of “Road to Race Day” became available on the go90 streaming platform.
Viewable on the “Road to Race Day” page on go90 and the free app from the Apple and Android stores, the newest episode -- titled "It's Chaotic" -- follows Chase Elliott and his veteran crew as they seek to temper emotions and remain focused heading into the Daytona 500.
The series provides glimpses we might never otherwise get to see up close, and after watching "It's Chaotic," 10 moments stood out.
10) In the first episode of the series, we saw Elliott fly with the United States Air Force Thunderbirds. This week, some of the Thunderbirds pilots take a tour of Daytona International Speedway and discuss how Elliott handled the thrilling flight. Another callback to the first episode is a cameo by FOX Sports' Katie Nolan, who greets Elliott on the grid and gets an invitation to sit on the No. 24 team pit box.
9) The cameras go inside the garage as the No. 24 team works to make sure Elliott's No. 24 NAPA AUTO PARTS Chevrolet SS is just right before his season debut. It shows us just how important every detail can be, including how all of the driver's mirrors are positioned.
8) A debate breaks out between members of the No. 24 team pit crew -- does Bigfoot exist? OK, but what about UFOs? It certainly makes for some entertaining banter.
7) We get to join the No. 24 team's final meeting before the Daytona 500 and hear crew chief Alan Gustafson tell his team, amidst a rousing speech, that "for the next three-and-a-half hours, we are going to try to control chaos."
6) Highlights of Elliott winning the NASCAR XFINITY Series race at Daytona the day before the Daytona 500 are shown, and they include an incident that involved 2000 NASCAR Cup Series champion Bobby Labonte. Afterward, we watch as Elliott seeks out Labonte to have a quick conversation and let him know that the contact wasn't purposeful.
5) With Jeff Gordon calling his first Daytona 500 from inside the FOX Sports broadcast booth, Gordon's wife and children still headed down to the grid to stand beside the No. 24 car and give Elliott and his team some encouragement before "The Great American Race."
4) We go inside the No. 24 team hauler as Elliott watches film from the Duels along with Gustafson, teammate Kasey Kahne and No. 5 team crew chief Keith Rodden. It's a unique look at how the teams work together during film study.
3) On the morning of the Daytona 500, we get to be a fly on the wall as Elliott chats with Gordon and Jimmie Johnson outside of his coach. The veterans look to give the rookie a glimpse into what to expect when the race arrives.
2) The cameras are there as Elliott gets a hug from his father, Bill Elliott, just before he climbs in the car to race in his first Daytona 500. Hendrick Motorsports owner Rick Hendrick then steps to the window to deliver some final words of encouragement, and we get to listen in.
1) The episode follows the flurry of activity that occurs when Elliott is involved in an incident that sends him to the garage early in the Daytona 500. We watch the repairs come together in real time and see how quick -- and safe -- work allows the No. 24 Chevy to return to the track to finish out the race.
Check out the full episode on go90. Next Wednesday, the series shifts its focus to Dale Earnhardt Jr. and the No. 88 team.